The last, extraordinary call concerning the selection to be admitted to the
PhD program in Physics - 38th cycle
was published on last October 13th, 2022.
The 39th cycle if the PhD program in Physics will be subjected to an accreditation process by the Ministry of University and Research: it will be confirmed and will start only in case of a positive assessment.
A next call is expected to be published on next June 2023.
Full text of the call, in English, and its important attachment (A)
[where all the PhD programs are listed, with their open positions and criteria and schedules of the selections]
will be available on the university website, at the link
(please, set previously your browser in English)
Applicants will be accepted who have obtained the MSc degree (or a corresponding academic qualification), or able to get it no later than October 31st, 2023.
Selection process and requirements
The admission to the PhD program in Physics at the Department of Physics of the University of Naples Federico II requires an MS Diploma (5, or 3+2 academic years), or an equivalent degree in a subject related to the PhD program: however, a qualified four-year academic degree might also be considered sufficient.
A selection committee will shortlist the applicants to be interviewed, on the base of their:
qualifications (note: none of the following items is mandatory for applying):
- list of scientific publications, if any;
- list of grants, fellowships or studentships obtained for attending an academic program or to carry out study and research, indicating the starting date, the duration and the amount awarded;
- post-graduate degrees obtained, if any
- academic/scientific/study awards
- score of any standard test used for admission in University programs at various levels in your Country and internationally (particularly valuable for us are GRE-general [and GRE-Physics or similar for the present call] – tests; and TOEFL…)
- MS thesis
- academic qualifications (concerning both BSc and MSc, if the degree course is divided in two steps): useful to include a list of all courses and examinations taken, with a short description of their contents and with the corresponding marks obtained. Also a brief explanation will be welcome of the grading system used in your Country/university and, if possible, information about the grade statistical distribution (e.g., the percentile of students obtaining that grade or higher).
If these certificates are not in one of the following languages: either Italian, English, French, Spanish or German, then you will have to add a legal translation into one of these languages (warning: to be legal, the translation must be confirmed by your local Italian Embassy or Consulate as "faithful to the original").
- recommendation letters: by filling the appropriate section in the application process, the (no more than 2) referees therein listed by the candidate will automatically receive an invitation to upload – by and no later the day which will be notified in the call itself – their presentation letters
Only applicants for reserved positions have also to present a
- statement of scientific purpose / research proposal (ie, a possible research project, on a 3 years basis)
The entire application process, including the application form, duly printed, undersigned and then uploaded by the candidate on the
jointly with all the other documents above listed, must be mandatory completed by the day which will be reported in the call.
Results of the first step of the selection will be then posted on the webpages
Shortlisted candidates will be then interviewed by web-conference (e.g. Skype) by following a calendar which wil lbe set at the due time
Further, important information about the proofs regarding candidates with a non-Italian Master Diploma
According to the rules described in the call, candidates with a non-Italian Master diploma and resident outside Italy may apply for the selection concerning the reserved positions.
In addition to titles and qualifications (i.e. diploma, transcripts, publications, recommendation letters - no more than 2 - and CV), the candidate should submit a Research Project in Physics which should contain a brief description of a problem, the status of the knowledge on this topic, the methodology to apply, and the results which might be obtained during the PhD. The report should be limited to 3 pages including figures and bibliography.
Shortlisted candidates will be then invited to take an interview which will last about 15 minutes and will be organized as follows:
(a) a few minutes discussion on the present/past candidate's research activity;
(b) the central part of the interview will be dedicated to illustrate the research project.
The candidate can eventually use some slides (maximum 6) in pdf format. Then a deepening discussion with the board will follow, in which an important aspect will be the coherence of the project with the research activities carried out in our Department.
Candidates with a non-Italian Master diploma may also choose, as an alternative, to compete with all the applicants with an Italian Master degree, thus participating to the selection for NOT reserved positions. In this case, the application should contain only titles and qualifications (i.e. diploma, transcripts, publications, recommendation letters - no more than 2 - and CV), and no research project is required.
For short listed candidates the structure of the interview is significantly different, it will last about 25 minutes and will be organized as follows:
(a) a 15 minutes discussion concerning the present and/or future candidate's research activity. Specifically, during the first 5 minutes the candidate could introduce the discussion, and he/she could eventually use a few slides (maximum 3) in pdf format. Then a deepening discussion with the board will follow;
(b) a second part of about 10 minutes, will cover topics of general interest in physics to evaluate his/her general background. The candidate could choice one among three questions concerning topics in classical physics, modern physics and experimental physics.
Here an indicative list of possible tential topics. The required level corresponds to the one of the Master Degree in Physics of Italian Universities.
Candidates applying for reserved positions cannot also apply for NOT reserved positions, and vice versa
Any other information about the possibility of taking the interview in remote mode will be sent by the selection Board to the candidates admitted to the oral exam.
Selection of candidates will consist of a preselection (with a shortlist) based on the documentation included in the application, and a subsequent oral examination or web-conference based interview (e.g. using skype).
For any information request please contact:
Prof. Vincenzo Canale (coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Guido Celentano (secretary) email@example.com