The call concerning the selection to be admitted to the
PhD program in Quantum Technologies (37th cycle),
has been published on April 22nd, 2021.
The 37th cycle if the PhD program in Quantum Technologies is now still undergoing an accreditation process by the Ministry of University and Research: it will be confimed and will start only in case of a positive assessment.
Text of the call and the important attachment (A)
[where all the PhD programs are listed, with their open positions and criteria and schedules of the selections]
are available on the university website, at the link
Deadline to apply: May 27th, 2021 (12:00 am, CET time)
Applicants will be accepted who have the MSc degree (or a corresponding academic qualification), or able to achieve it by and no later than October 31st, 2021.
Selection process and requirements
The admission to PhD program in Quantum Technologies at the Department of Physics of the University of Naples Federico II (jointly with University of Camerino and CNR - Italian National Research Council, site of Florence) requires passing a selection based on the assessment of academic qualifications and of a statement of scientific purpose / research proposal (ie, a possible research project, on a 3 years basis), followed by an oral examination (in Italian or English).
A selection committee will shortlist the applicants to be interviewed, on the base of their CV, qualifications (MS Diploma, or an equivalent degree in a subject related to the PhD program, is usually required for admission: however, a qualified four-year bachelor might also be considered sufficient) and references (candidates are asked to provide the names and contact information of at least two faculty members who can furnish a letter of reference). And on the basis of the statement of their scientific purpose.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an oral examination or interviewed by web-conference (e.g. Skype).
How to apply
Full text of the call for PhD Programs at the University of Naples "Federico II", the file "Attachment A" (listing all the PhD programs), and the list of PhD Programs with open positions for foreigners will be available on the website
(please, set previously your browser in English).
The application form has to be filled directly in that website, then it has to be printed out and sent to the email account email@example.com - by means of WeTransfer file sending system - and attaching the scanned version of the following documents:
1) University degrees. Attach both of the following items:
- Official certificate issued by the University about each of the relevant degrees obtained (e.g., bachelor, master or equivalent), including the indication of the specific study program attended and of all the examinations taken. If these certificates are not in one of the following languages: either Italian, English, French, Spanish or German, then you will have to add a legal translation into one of these languages (warning: to be legal, the translation must be confirmed by your local Italian Embassy or Consulate as "faithful to the original").
- Academic curriculum vitae, including a list of all courses and examinations taken, with a short description of their contents and with the corresponding marks obtained. Include also a brief explanation of the grading system used in your country/university and, if possible, information about the grade statistical distribution (e.g., the percentile of students obtaining that grade or higher).
2) References. It is required to include in the message by the applicant the names and contact information of at least two faculty members who can furnish a letter of reference for her/him.
3) Curriculum vitae
4) A short presentation of a research proposal concerning a scientific item of interest of the phd program (see at the webpage http://www.phd-qt.unina.it/index.php/research-topics/ )
5) Further scientific/academic qualifications and information that in your judgment should be taken into account, such as (note: none of the following items is mandatory for applying):
- List of scientific publications, if any.
- List of grants, fellowships or studentships obtained for attending a PhD program or to carry out study and research, indicating the starting date, the duration and the amount awarded.
- Post-graduate degrees obtained, if any (excluding those already reported above.
- Academic/scientific/study awards.
- Score of any standard test used for admission in University programs at various levels in your country and internationally, adding the contact information (link, e-mails, etc.) of the Organizations which may eventually certify to us your test results [particularly valuable for us are GRE-general [and GRE-Physics or similar for the present call] - tests (GRE = Graduate Record Examination, see its web-site for information). Note: if you have taken these tests, besides mentioning your scores for each separate section of the test (e.g., verbal, quantitative, analytical writing), ask also GRE organization to send the scores directly to us, using our institution code: 7133]
37th cycle of the PhD program in Quantum Technologies will offer 11 positions (9 funded with academic grants, 2 without scholarship).
Selection for admission to the PhD in Quantum Technologies, as well as the assessment of qualifications, also includes the evaluation of a research project that each applicant is invited to submit jointly with the other documents needed to be evaluated by the committee.
After this step of the selection, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to a further oral exam.
Only the application form (without any other document) must be electronically sent by the candidates, according to criteria and times reported in the university call, available at the link
Application form (duly undersigned by the candidate) and all the other documents concerning the applicant's curriculum vitae et studiorium, with all his/her academic qualifications, or language or informatic skills, certificates of participation in schools, conferences, internships..., any scientific publications or patents... must be sent to the email account ot the student phd office at the Dept. of Physics of the University of Naples "Federico II"
by the deadline (May 27th, 2021 - hr. 12:00 am - CET time) reported in the call.
Please, by sending your application to the above email address, exclusively adopt the WeTransfer file sender system
Results of the assessment of qualifications and academic degrees and of the research project will be published on June 21st 2021, at 6 pm (CET time).
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the oral proofs (to be held via skype or similar platforms) starting from June 28th, 2021.
Further information can be requested by email from the PhD student office at the above address, or by phone (no. +39 081 676870)